Center for Inquiry Michigan is currently seeking applicants for a Volunteer Coordinator Intern. Internship openings are available for fall, summer and winter semesters.
Internship Type: Unpaid part-time, 10-20 hours/week. (Internship length/total hours negotiable to meet degree requirements).
Location: CFI Michigan is based in Grand Rapids, Michigan. Applicants must live within driving distance of our office as this is an on-site internship.
About CFI: The mission of Center for Inquiry is to foster a secular society based on science, reason, freedom of inquiry, and humanist values. CFI MI works to accomplish this mission through educational events for members & the public, as well as outreach, social, family events, and community service.
Summary: The Volunteer Coordinator Intern will work directly with the Program Director of CFI Michigan to coordinate ongoing and one-time volunteer assignments to support our educational and social programming, and the day-to-day operations of CFI Michigan. The Volunteer Coordinator will also be responsible for assisting with training of new volunteers. Opportunities will also be available to help develop further develop our volunteer program including: evaluation tools, and volunteer recognition/appreciation. .
Internship Responsibilities: The internship will include opportunities to develop skills in:
- Volunteer Management: Coordinating/scheduling volunteers for upcoming events.
- Volunteer Development: recruiting and training new and existing volunteers to develop skills and prepare volunteers for upcoming events/assignments.
- Volunteer Administration: Assisting with office tasks related to volunteer management including: database management, email & phone communications, event facilitation, etc.
- Opportunities will also be available to learn about general non-profit management, day-to-day program management, and program development.
- Experience or pursuing a degree in non-profit administration, volunteer management, or related field, preferred.
- Must have excellent computer and writing skills: Experience with Microsoft Office Suite and proficiency using internet based programs is required; experience with Adobe Creative Suite and HTML/CSS, and social media promotion is helpful.
- Must be a reliable, self-motivated and independent worker who is also comfortable working in small and large group situations, as well as various work environments, and in management roles.
- Must have reliable transportation for travel to/from events.
- Comfortable communicating and promoting the mission of Center for Inquiry with members and the public.
How to Apply for an Internship at CFI Michigan
To be considered for an internship please submit the following by email to michigan[at]centerforinquiry.org:
- Your resume.
- A letter of interest outlining: Why you are interested in an an internship at CFI Michigan, and a statement verifying you are comfortable communicating the mission of CFI, your internship goals, and any program requirements (if for college credit).
- At least two (2) samples of your writing skills. (PDF’s or web links are preferred. We will also accept files from Microsoft Office or Adobe Creative Suite programs.)
- Applicants may also submit samples of graphic design, web development, photography or videography work (if applicable).
- Any additional materials or work samples relevant to this internship’s qualifications – see descriptions above for details.
Contact Jennifer Beahan, Executive Director, by email or call 616-698-2342 x801.