Center for Inquiry–Michigan is currently seeking applicants for a Publicity Coordinator Intern. Internship openings are available for fall, summer and winter semesters.
Internship Type: Unpaid part-time (10-20 hours/week). (Internship length/total hours negotiable to meet degree requirements).
Location: CFI–Michigan is based in Grand Rapids, Michigan. Applicants must live within driving distance of our office as this is an on-site internship.
About CFI: The mission of Center for Inquiry is to foster a secular society based on science, reason, freedom of inquiry, and humanist values. CFI–MI works to accomplish this mission through educational events for members & the public, as well as outreach, social, family events, and community service.
The Publicity Coordinator Intern will work directly with the Program Director and Executive Director to ensure consistent and timely event publicity for programming throughout Michigan. This internship focuses heavily on web-based communications and social media.
The internship will include opportunities to develop skills in:
- Web Calendar Management: creating and editing entries for upcoming events in Expression Engine.
- Email Newsletter Creation: drafting and editing regular monthly and weekly emails, and other e-newsletters, using the Convio/Spark systems.
- Managing Facebook and Meetup event promotion: creating and editing event listings for upcoming events, posting official comments and event reminders on page wall.
- Coordinating event promotion/publicity on Twitter and other social media.
- Drafting and sending Press Releases for major events and in response to relevant media stories.
- Submitting event information to print media publications (newspapers, magazines, etc.) and online event calendars.
- Coordinating event promotion schedule with Staff, Regional Event Hosts and Publicity Volunteers. May include gathering details for events from guest speakers and volunteers and acting as editor for submissions to ensure consistent professional messaging and branding.
- Assisting with office tasks to improve Event Publicity and Public relations systems – preparing mailings, database management, developing media contact lists, etc.
- Experience or pursuing a degree in non-profit administration, public relations, marketing, communications, or journalism is preferred.
- Must have excellent writing, proofreading, and organizational skills, as attention to detail is essential.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite and using internet based programs such as Google Drive is required; Proficiency in Adobe Creative Suite and using HTML/CSS is helpful.
- Experience in social media marketing via Facebook, Meetup, Twitter and Hootsuite, are strongly preferred.
- Must be a reliable, self-motivated and independent worker who is also comfortable working in various work environments, and in management roles as needed.
- Comfortable communicating and promoting the mission of Center for Inquiry with members and the public.
How to Apply for an Internship at CFI–Michigan
To be considered for an internship please submit:
- Your resume.
- A letter of interest outlining: your internship goals, program requirements, why you are interested in an an internship at CFI–Michigan, and a statement verifying you are comfortable communicating the mission of CFI.
- At least two (2) samples of your writing skills. (PDF’s or web links are preferred. We will also accept files from Microsoft Office or Adobe Creative Suite programs.)
- Applicants may also submit samples of graphic design, web development, photography or videography work (if applicable).
- Any additional materials requested for specific internships – see descriptions above for details.
Submit application by Email to michigan[at]centerforinquiry.net.
Contact Jennifer Beahan, Program Director, by email or call 616-706-2029.