Center for Inquiry Michigan is currently seeking applicants for a Advocacy Coordinator Intern. Internship openings are available for fall, summer and winter semesters.
Internship Type: Unpaid part-time (10-20 hours/week). (Internship length/total hours negotiable to meet degree requirements).
Location: CFI–Michigan is based in Grand Rapids, Michigan. Applicants must live within driving distance of our office as this is an on-site internship.
About CFI: The mission of Center for Inquiry is to foster a secular society based on science, reason, freedom of inquiry, and humanist values. CFI–MI works to accomplish this mission through educational events for members & the public, as well as outreach, social, family events, and community service.
Summary: The Advocacy Coordinator Intern will work directly with the Program Director and Executive Director to coordinate and facilitate issue-based advocacy projects at the local, state and federal level including tracking legislation, drafting action alerts and coordinating Members to respond to issues.
Internship Responsibilities: The internship will include opportunities to develop skills in:
- Work with CFI Staff in Michigan and at the national office to set advocacy goals and coordinate advocacy campaigns in response to legislation.
- Track new legislation that is introduced at the State & National Level and provide regular updates to CFI Staff.
- Create and implement Advocacy Response Plans based on legislative issues including drafting scripts and talking points for CFI Members.
- Web Page Management: creating and editing entries in Expression Engine for advocacy projects and events.
- Email Newsletter Creation: drafting and editing Action Alert emails, using the Convio/Luminate system.
- Managing Facebook, Twitter and other social media postings to activate CFI Members to engage in Advocacy issues.
- Drafting and sending Press Releases related to Advocacy activities.
- Managing the CFI MI Advocacy Response Team email list and correspondence with CFI members.
- Experience or pursuing a degree related to Advocacy/Activism, Political Science, Social Justice, Non-profit Administration, or Public Relations is preferred.
- Must have excellent writing, proofreading, and organizational skills, as attention to detail is essential.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite and using internet based programs such as Google Drive is required; Proficiency in Adobe Creative Suite and using HTML/CSS is helpful.
- Experience in social media marketing via Facebook, Meetup, Twitter and Hootsuite, are strongly preferred.
- Must be a reliable, self-motivated and independent worker who is also comfortable working in various work environments, and in management roles as needed.
- Comfortable communicating and promoting the mission of Center for Inquiry with members and the public.
How to Apply for an Internship at CFI–Michigan
To be considered for an internship please submit the following by email to michigan[at]centerforinquiry.org:
- Your resume.
- A letter of interest outlining: Why you are interested in an an internship at CFI Michigan, and a statement verifying you are comfortable communicating the mission of CFI, your internship goals, and any program requirements (if for college credit).
- At least two (2) samples of your writing skills. (PDF’s or web links are preferred. We will also accept files from Microsoft Office or Adobe Creative Suite programs.)
- Applicants may also submit samples of graphic design, web development, photography or videography work (if applicable).
- Any additional materials or work samples relevant to this internship’s qualifications – see descriptions above for details.
Contact Jennifer Beahan, Executive Director, by email or call 616-698-2342 x801.